Microsoft’s Seeing AI: Now Accessible to Billions on Android
Dec. 05, 2023.
2 min. read. Interactions
👁️🗨️📱 Microsoft's Seeing AI is now on Android! 🌍 Over 3 billion users can access AI-powered assistance for the visually impaired. 📖🔍💬 Inclusive tech is here! #SeeingAI #TechForGood
A Leap in Accessibility
Microsoft’s visionary Seeing AI app, initially a 2017 research project, has transcended its experimental roots to become a robust, publically available tool. Initially an iOS exclusive, this game-changing application has finally made its Android debut. This expansion is monumental, propelling Seeing AI into the hands of over 3 billion Android users globally, significantly widening its potential impact.
Empowering the Visually Impaired
At its core, Seeing AI leverages artificial intelligence to assist the blind and low-vision community. Its practical applications are vast and varied, helping users navigate everyday tasks effortlessly. From reading documents and menus to identifying currency notes and images, Seeing AI acts as a virtual guide, accessible through a simple point-and-click camera interface.
Language and Feature Expansion
The app, already proficient in 18 languages, is set to broaden its linguistic capabilities to 36 by 2024. This expansion reflects Microsoft’s commitment to making Seeing AI as inclusive as possible. Moreover, the Android version inherits a suite of advanced features already available to iOS users:
- Rich Photo Descriptions: Beyond basic image summaries, the app can generate detailed descriptions, offering a deeper understanding of visual content.
- Interactive Document Handling: Users can ‘chat’ with Seeing AI for a more dynamic interaction with documents. It’s like having a conversation about the content, whether it’s querying menu items, extracting prices from receipts, or summarizing articles.
A Multitude of Features for Daily Life
Seeing AI comes packed with functionalities tailored to enhance daily living:
- Instant Text Reading: Immediate vocalization of text captured by the camera.
- Document Assistance: Audio instructions for document scanning and detailed content reading.
- Product Identification: Barcode scanning with audio cues, providing product information.
- Scene Recognition: Descriptive audio of scenes, with an option for detailed analysis.
- People Detection: Identifies friends in the vicinity.
- Currency Recognition: Assists in identifying different currency notes.
- Color Perception: Provides color descriptions of objects.
- Handwriting Reading: Decodes handwritten texts in select languages.
- Light Sensing: Audible tones indicate environmental brightness levels.
- Image Recognition in Other Apps: Share images from other apps for recognition by Seeing AI.
This development marks a significant stride in Microsoft’s endeavor to create a more inclusive world, making everyday tasks more accessible and manageable for those with visual impairments.
Interesting story? Please click on the 👍 button below!